Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Best Men’s Travel Vest Out There!

I travel a lot, and whether it’s traveling for business or just for the joy of exploring the world, I am a proponent of a good plan - from itinerary details to the clothes I’ll pack. This is where the travel vest comes in to play. In a few weeks I’m off to see my good friend Alfie Boe as the lead in Les Miserable in London’s West End, which will entail dressing up for the show, dinner parties and events, and probably schlepping around the English countryside for a couple of pub dinners and beer.  From there I’m going on to a two week motorbike tour around Ireland.  So to pack for this trip, I need my clean, stylish “city” clothes, my practical travel clothes, and some down and dirty trekking clothes.


Keeping the bags to a minimum is important due to all the different legs of the trip, crazy airports and the very real likelihood of missing baggage! I have to keep my valuables on me, I mean, really on my person, as international travel is so unpredictable. And you should too. A few years ago, my bags were lost at Heathrow, and after months of phone calls, automated messages and red tape, they finally arrived on my doorstep. Unfortunately, most of the stuff was completely ruined. It seems all the lost bags had been stored in a very damp basement warehouse and each and every molecule was permeated with mold.

One way to be prepared for episodes like this (and don’t kid yourself, it will happen) is to carry a lot of your stuff with you rather than checking it. That’s when the travel vest becomes invaluable. When traveling I regularly carry an iPhone, sunglasses, camera, batteries, passport, cash, credit cards, a book or magazine and an iPad. Sometimes also water, sunscreen, and a couple snacks. That’s a lot to keep organized and accessible, and travel vests are just the ticket. They are the most versatile and useful item of travel clothing on the market. And since I was out to get the best vest I could find, I did a little comparison shopping.

When I began doing the research, I came across a lot of safari vests, vests for photographers, vests for fisherman and a few specifically for travel. What I didn’t find were any particularly useful reviews and comparisons. So I did the grunt work myself, and this is what I figured out. 


First of all, I wanted to find the few that had some style to them so that I could actually wear the vest a variety of places without sticking out like a big fat tourist - a sure target for would be thieves and less importantly, derisive sneers. I don’t need the vest for warmth as even though l’m sure to encounter some cooler weather, I want to be able to use the vest’s legendary carrying and organizational capacity even when it’s warm out. I perused the web for styles I might find wearable. Considering what a great asset to travel these vests are, I was surprised that there aren’t too many really good ones out there. 

Following are some of the vests I ruled out because they were just too baggy, unappealing and often too expensive:

  • Driza-Bone  Vest, expensive, also too boxy and stiff for my needs $190.
  • Filson's 556 OLG 20 Pocket Men's Travel Vest, $195.00 expensive and I don’t like the shape or pocket placement.
  • And of course, the The Tilley ‘VOMP’ (Vest Of Many Pockets) with sixteen pockets. I don’t need to bother looking at this one with the outrageous $350.00 price tag!
  • The Tilley Different Drummer Legends Outback Vest at $189.00 is too baggy and pouchy (and still too expensive!).
  • The Orvis Hemp Traveler's Vest, at $189.00, has very antiquated styling - it may be a good choice for a suave eighty-year-old paired with an Irish Tweed cap and cane, but it’s not for me.
  • Columbia Vest
  • At $65.00, the Columbia Men's Silver Ridge Vest is affordable but the odd pocket placement gives it a childish look and takes it out of the running.
I ultimately decided I could live with the style of three vests: the Travel Smith Voyager, the SCOTTEVEST Travel Vest, and Magellan’s Travel Vest. So now I really needed to see them, feel them and try them on to be sure I had the right vest for the job. I’ve included the links to reviews, and will test out the claims for and against each vest as it arrives. Let the games begin!


First contender is the SCOTTEVEST: One reviewer <www.travelvestreviews.com> claims the SCOTTEVEST doesn’t live up to it’s claims for the ‘Weight Management System” keeping the vest balanced when it’s full of gear. I intend to test that theory and get back to you. I couldn’t find any reviews from travel sites on the Travel Smith vest (only reviews on the company website) and it has me wondering if there’s a reason no one has reviewed it; like it’s not a great vest for travel? But I already ordered it, so I’ll check it out and get back to you. The skinny on the Magellan Vest is that it’s nice, but looks lumpy when you’re carrying gear <http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=42470>. I will load it up with camera, phone, snacks... and let you know.

First I tried on the Magellan Travel Vest. It’s the most affordable option I ordered at $54.00. The style is a bit “tourista” looking and not very stylish. Definitely super casual.  It’s lighter weight than the SCOTTEVEST and the Travel Smith, actually very light weight, which is neither here nor there for me as the weights of all three work for my purposes. This also means it’s quick drying (I tested it by running the faucet over one corner and it dried in a couple hours). It feels like it will hold up okay and the mesh lining helps it breathe well. It’s soft  and comfortable. It only has eight pockets, so I’ll have to bring a carry-on bag on the flights, which isn’t great. The pockets have velcro closures to keep stuff in. It did look a little lumpy when I made good use of the pockets. But, if you don’t need to “hide” that you are carrying goods and don’t need lots of pockets (or great style) this vest is a good buy.


A leap up but still moderately priced at $100 is the SCOTTEVEST. First things first - I like the looks and feel of it. No baggy exterior pockets, sleek and stylish, but not over the top. The brushed cotton blend exterior with silky lining is soft, lightweight, comfortable and much more solid feeling than Magellan’s.  Next, I had to test out the reviewer’s theory and load those 22 pockets up!  So I crammed the pockets with my iPhone in the cleartouch interior pocket, a camera, sunglasses, camera battery, Rolling Stone magazine, a bottle of water, a bag of pistachios, and a power bar, a tube of sunscreen, and just for fun -  my iPad. Not only did it feel balanced, it felt like it would be no problem to put more stuff in it, and even then, it wouldn’t show. I also loved the magnetic pocket closures more than velcro - way easier and way cooler. So, with the SCOTTEVEST Travel Vest, I can forego a carry-on bag and carry all my stuff on me which will make traveling lots easier.  It should be a great layering piece for the airplane’s fluctuating temperatures, and when I want to take it off, I can pull out what I need, like my iPad and a bottle of water, and toss it in the overhead bin. With no bulgy pockets, it’s not obvious that I am carrying anything, and less chance of drawing attention to my expensive camera and other goods.


The Travel Smith Voyager Vest is a decent price at $79.00. Since I had ordered the SCOTTEVEST in black (it comes in like, 5 colors), I ordered the “Stone” which is a light tan (but it also comes in Charcoal). While some of the 14 pockets are on the exterior, they are nicely placed except  the two top front which are bulgy looking when filled. However, even so, it’s quite a nice looking vest. It’s comfortable and lightweight with a mesh lining for breathability. While the pockets have velcro closures, the phone pocket is placed low in the front and it makes me a little nervous as it doesn’t feel quite secure enough. Overall, it’s a handsome enough, practical travel vest.

Conclusion:
Ultimately for me, the SCOTTEVEST Travel Vest comes in at number one. While historically travel vests have had a very casual kind of baggy look, I prefer the sleek lines and very specialized systems of the SCOTTEVEST. The Travel Smith is a close second, but more “utilitarian” looking and not quite as subtle. As one reviewer on the SCOTTEVEST site says, this vest is “... simply the finest single garment I have ever owned. It is brilliantly designed, well-executed, reassuringly sturdy, and even pleasantly stylish.” And I for one am looking forward to putting it to the test! To be sure, any of these vests will provide some useful function, and are definitely better than foregoing the vest idea altogether. Once a travel vest is incorporated into your travel wardrobe, you’ll wonder how you ever got around with out one!

SCOTTEVEST 
Pros: The most streamlined travel vest on the market. Sleek with clean lines, it takes things up a notch. More color choices than other vests: black, red, tan, and teal. Soft and comfortable.  22 pockets so you’ve definitely got carrying capacity; you won’t have to leave any travel accessories behind. The well thought out pocket design keeps everything concealed, secure, and even fully loaded it doesn’t affect the sleek look.            
Cons: Zero







Travel Smith 
Pros: good looking, comfortable, nice colors  - dark grey and tan.
Cons: Funnel neck a little too high and obvious pockets.










Magellan's
Pros: Lightweight, quick dry, practical.
Cons: Not enough pockets, not much style.





5 comments:

  1. Thanks for this review---it's the only one I could find comparing models, and I think I will go with the Scottevest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please continue this great work and I look forward to more of your awesome blog posts. Verve Bedford

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can find the best travel vest for 2018 here - a good compilation of travel vests for 2018.

    ReplyDelete